Thursday, July 8, 2010

Homemade Frugal Tomato Soup

I was looking for a recipe for tomato soup, and couldn't find one I liked with ingredients I had on hand. SO I took a recipe I found and modified it to what I did have and its GOOD!!

1Tsp Olive Oil
1 Med onion chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 small can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce ( I used BBQ sauce)
1Tbsp Sugar
1Tbsp dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a large sauce pan, saute oil, onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add carrots and saute again for another 5 minutes or until veggies are soft.
Add tomato paste, broth, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce to med to simmer for 20 minutes. Add Salt and pepper to taste.

You can mix with an immersion blender or blend in a blender to puree, I left is as is. Add a quarter cup of cream, and top with shredded cheddar cheese.

I prepared this with common ingredients, and for less than $2. I'll serve with Grilled Cheese for a nice frugal dinner for this hot evening. Enjoy!!

Have a great night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment