Saturday, September 4, 2010

Earl, you were nothing but a big wind

:oP~~~~~ That's me blowing raspberries at 'Hurricane Earl',   he was a whole lot of nothing. He gave us a big threat, but in the end proved to be nothing but a big wimp, a nothing, a nobody. LOL

We saw him coming up the coast.  On Tuesday, they told us to prepare for a major hurricane, he was a Cat 5.  He was expected to come right over Connecticut.  I posted on Facebook to all my local friends," please make sure you prepare NOW.  If you wait until the storm is right on top of us, you will be out of luck, the stores will be sold out". I even told them what to buy, batteries,  water, nonperishable food, and make sure they had working flashlights.  I myself ran to the store and bought a few things I knew we needed, minus the batteries cuz I wasn't sure   what I needed, sometimes my husband buys them ahead and puts them away for me. I checked, the rayovac batteries were .97 and with my $1 off coupons, they would be FREE. 

By Wednesday evening, they were telling us he was downgraded, but we would still get a pretty big storm. It wouldn't be a direct hit, but we would get the 'frindge effects' of the nasty wind and rain, be prepared for outages.    

 By Thursday, the weather bureau issued a Tropical Storm watch.  We were no longer waiting for a hurricane, but now waiting for a rather large tropical storm.  Power outages were predicted.  Lots of rain, and lots of wind.   I remember the batteries, and ran down to Walmart on Thursday night only discover they were sold out of everything.  I ran to the back to get some more  water, completely sold out as well.   Then I ran into the candle isle, luckily, I was able to get candles.   I ended up running into Home Depot next door and got the last 12 pk of batteries, they ended up not being FREE, but $11!  ACK!   But at least I had them, that's what I get for waiting till the last minute. 

Our area prepared.  Kids were sent home early from school, it wasn't even raining yet.  The weathermen kept saying it wouldn't be as bad as they thought, but the tropical storm watch stayed in effect.  We cleaned up the yard, making sure all patio chairs and toys were put away so they wouldn't blow into the neighbors' yard.   The rain finally made its grand appearance around noontime, it was just a drizzle.  The 'real' rain didn't even start until after dark, so around 8pm, but there was hardly any wind. 

You talked a big talk Earl, but you ain't nothing!  We aren't afraid of you! 

Today's weather, Beautiful, sunny, breezy, and 75 degrees.   We beat YOU, Earl!!

1 comment:

  1. That is good to hear that it was not as big as it could have been. At least you were ready, just in case!!

    I am now following you!! Hope you stop by.

    justtryingtosavemoney at yahoo dot com